CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Caught in the Web

Synopsis

"Caught in the Web" is a psychological horror/thriller following the investigations of a series of teen suicides. What the detective soon learns, is that they are not suicides, but homicides. The killers use the internet as a weapon, trapping the girls in a "suicide support" website and gaining the trust under the alias "Julie". They rape and murder their victims, making it look like suicide using evidence on the website of depression, and forged suicide notes. The case becomes personal for the detective when his daughter becomes their next victim, but will he stop them in time? Or will he also get caught in the web?

Preliminary Task

Monday, October 20, 2008

Pan's Labyrinth


Looking through my dad's dvd collection yesterday, I discovered that we had Pan's Labyrinth, directed by Guillermo Del Toro in 2006, (El Laberinto del Fauno in Spanish). Considering I had researched it for part of my research on foreign films, I decided to watch it, so I thought I'd summarise what my thoughts on it are.


I loved it! It was very tense, and in places, quite gruesome, but the story was intriguing, the graphics were incredible, and the language meant that I was totally absorbed in its' world. The film is quite dark, about death and the underworld and a ruthless captain who kills people for no reason. Despite this, there is a sweet message the whole way through, and it ends happily, with Ofelia ruling the underworld with peace and a kind heart.


I was impressed, because the genre "fantasy" can come with some bad connotations of being unbelievable and child-like, but this was definitely an adult's film. It had believable characters, and the performance from Ofelia (a young girl played by Ivana Baquero) was outstanding. I was thoroughly impressed.

0 comments: